Indie film making has made some of the finest creature features of all time, and some of the top grossing box office hits in almost any category. A lot of the finest horror motion pictures ever produced have been independent horror flicks that used green screen and green screen backgrounds. A lot of the directors of these types of motion pictures have gone on to greater magnificence beyond the independent horror arena. Movie directors including Ethan and Joel Coen (The Big Lebowski), Sam Raimi (Spiderman), and others have started in the independent horror circuit only to discover themselves having big Hollywood jobs. The following is a listing of the Top Five all time independent horror movies.
5. The Evil Dead. Directed by Sam Raimi (Spiderman), this particular movie was made on a micro spending budget it appears and the effects are sort of cheesy, but it is still among the most terrifying films ever produced. Featuring Bruce Campbell who proceeded to star in the sequels (not good) this particular 1981 production lives on with a cult following as well as fans everywhere.
4. The Blair Witch Project. In 1999 director Eduardo Sanchez stunned everyone with this Sundance entry about a group of documentary film maker students lost in the forest wilderness of Maryland. Taken on a shoestring budget and utilizing handheld cameras, lots of flick goers just failed to understand it or hated the constant movement of the camera. People who did enjoy this indie horror cult classic discovered the premise and storyline terrifying.
3. The Ring. Starring Naomi Watts and directed by the aptly named Gore Verbinski, this remake of the Japanese cult classic Ringu was a great deal more than just another American remake. This particular flick significantly surpassed the original in mood, panic, scares, and most importantly, superb acting. Launched in the year 2002, this particular film has spawned a complete number of Japanese scary film remakes like the Grudge, and The Eye. The Ring will scare your pants off and cause you to think once more about picking up your telephone. A fantastic independent horror motion picture and one to get.
2. Paranormal Activity. Released in 2007 this is another low, small budget independent scary film shot using a handheld video camera. Directed by Oren Peli and starring Katie Featherstone and Micah Sloat, it tells the story of a young couple that’s haunted by a demon that assaults them while they are resting in their suburban San Diego residence. Incredibly frightening and certainly not for the faint of heart. Begins slow but ends powerful. Don’t miss motion picture}.
1. Night of the Living Dead. In 1968 fledgling film director George Romero brought us this particular horrifying vision of the dead strolling our planet that stays to this day the scariest indie horror motion picture ever made. With a cast of unknowns it began a trend of zombie motion pictures that continues to this day with motion pictures such as “28 Days Later” as well as the spoof “Shawn of the Dead”. Certainly not for the faint of heart.